Friday, October 1, 2010

Back At It!


So it's official. I bought the shoes. FINALLY! I'm pretty damn excited. I've been drooling in anticipation for weeks/months at the thought of a trip to Fleet Feet to have a 20-30 minute personalized fit consultation with a sales associate. :-) Let's just say it was everything I thought it would be. I was really impressed with the guy who helped me. E and I were basically hovering at the front door waiting for the San Fran store to open at 10. I showed the guy my old Asics Cumulus' (embarassingly beat, grungy & falling apart) and then he measured my skinny pedos at size 7 while sitting & 7.5 while standing, which apparently is important? He watched me walk, and then came back with a pair of beautiful Mizuno Waveriders. Who ever thought I'd stray from Asics? Not I. They felt incredibly different from my good ole' standbyes, and I wasn't so sure. So after a good 45 minutes, several pairs Asics, Brooks, Saucony & Mizunos, and a quick jog around the block, I decided on the Waveriders. Gotta hand it to the guy for getting it right on the first try! The 30 day guarantee helped me make the decision too - because these shoes feel so different the unconditional return option helped me take a step outside the box and go with something completely new! New has to be better for my IT band, I presume.

I also received some encouraging news from another sales associate who suffered a 6 month stint of no running due to IT band tightness. He said the only thing that helped was a foam roller & regular massage. Good to know. Also good to hear he actually recovered, which apparently is really unusual? Anyway, I'm stoked.

I still might cancel my scheduled 1/2 marathon on October 17 because really, I'm not ready for it. It's hard to deal with because I've actually scheduled an entire 3 day weekend trip around it. I'll run tomorrow in my new zapatos, stretch the crap out of my ITB, use my new Salonpas heat patch-thingies and report back.

Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment