Sunday, October 7, 2012

To marathon, or not to marathon?

Not having a race to look forward to is making me a little bit crazy. I've gone back and forth a few times in the past two weeks about training for another marathon. There is a part inside me that really wants to do it. I want to try it again because I know I can do better than my first marathon. I want to train hard and stay healthy and make it to the finish line. The other part inside me knows that it's a major commitment of time and energy, and that I don't really have the true burning desire to spend that much time running. I also am aware that winter's coming and that I dislike running in the rain and cold.

I went on a super 5 mile run yesterday morning and it felt so good to run at a comfortable pace - just me and the dog. My mind was running blank, and then all of a sudden I had a realization that if I want to accomplish another marathon, now is the time. I don't have kids, I don't have a job, I don't have anything holding me back. My only plan for the next few years involves working towards living on a sailboat, but you never know what will be mixed in with that. I think the biggest thing I learned about running a marathon is that you really have to want it. The time involved in training, and the cost of shoes, massages, fuel, travel, and the actual marathon really add up to a big investment. You've got to make it count.

I'm still wavering.

Running a marathon takes balance. E shows us how its done.



No comments:

Post a Comment