Thursday, June 3, 2010

New Plan

The horrible weather has given me the opportunity to relax and think about my running.

Someone on my blogroll recently posted a quote (DOTR?): "Run to Eat, Eat to Run." I love it! This seems like the healthiest, best recipe for success in maintaining a body that I'm proud of. I run because I love it, and also because every single time I've ever gone on a run, I'm happy that I did - I am always proud of myself. Since going gluten-free 8-ish months ago, I've lost between 5 to 10 pounds, depending on the day. I've also been much more active with hot yoga and running. I feel good, and fit, and am actually motivated and excited to workout - not every day though, which is fine!

I originally started running back in late February/early March because I decided I wanted to run a 1/2 marathon. Sticking to Hal Higdon's training plan was a disaster for me. I could never run long enough on long run days, and I could never keep myself to just 3 miles on short run days. I was always pushing myself in random ways. I also put a 10k on my plate right in the middle of it all, and had to really strain to make it happen. I loved it, but I felt like I'd accomplished my goal and stopped "training" and continued to just "run".

Now that I know a little bit more about my running self, I think I could stick to a training plan. I know how to appreciate short run days, I have good ideas for strengthening days, and I know that little-by-little, I can up my mileage each week on a long run. It takes serious dedication and concentration to make something like this happen, (and I know I'll get sick of my stand-by trails!), and I know I'll have to fuel my body right.

There are several 1/2 marathons in October, which gives me all summer long to prepare and still not freak out if I go astray. If I can keep to my schedule over the summer I will be ready in 12 weeks, or 3 months.


1 comment:

  1. Yeah, the first time around training for a big race is never easy. You should check out runner's world for other options. Hal Higdon's are good, but sometimes a bit much I think. And try not to feel too bad when you don't hit the mileage mark on one of the workouts.

    ReplyDelete