Friday, January 20, 2012

Gluten Free Bread

I love bread.  I also love cheese.  Even better, I love cheese and bread (aka a cheese sandwich?).  But this post is really about my recent quest to bake our own bread - gluten free for me, and gluten-full for him.

After two years of living in a yurt with no kitchen (see my other blog Building Mom's Yurt for gobs of entertainment and beautiful yurt photos) I was super stoked to move into our new place and fire up the slightly-used gas oven we found on craigslist.

   

Actually, I'll admit to an interim period where I "fired up" my mom's old Hitachi bread machine.  I got a good 6 or 7 loaves out of it before the motor unceremoniously crapped out and refused to move faster than one revolution per hour.  So I called upon my Apple Green KitchenAid Stand Mixer and Frigidaire oven and have had some great success.  

I first used a delicious rye bread recipe from Smitten Kitten.  OMG.  Delicious and fail proof (re only one fallen loaf in 5 attempts!).  I usually alter all recipes to fit what I have on hand, which is the novice baker's equivalent to walking on a tightrope over a pit full of alligators.  But E eats it all.  
New York Deli Style Rye
Ignore my psuedo-bangs and frog-smile.  Just focus on the huge loaf.  I also have been making gluten-free bread using the recipe from the Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special cookbook for years and have never made a bad loaf.  But it was time to try something new, and yesterday I found this recipe from Gluten Free Gobsmacked.  True to form, I modified it slightly because I'm temporarily obsessed with millet.  I also may or may not have used a loaf pan that was too small.
Gluten-Free Sunflower and Millet Bread
So, all in all this has been an excellent way to spend my rainy day off.  Bread tastes good and smells good and I can hardly do without when training for a marathon.  Oh yeah, I'm going to train for another marathon!  More info to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment